We strongly believe that real butter makes everything better, even when it’s something already as outrageously scrumptious as pecan pie. Inspired by this NYT recipe, we gave our bourbon pecan pie our signature spin by using less sugar, an all-butter crust and almost twice the amount of pecans. This fragrant delight – think notes of oak, caramel, butter and roasted nuts – is actually really quick and easy to make and almost never goes wrong, even for the novice baker. Just be sure to take it out of the oven when the middle still jiggles a bit.Green Valley Creamery
For all butter crust:
- 1 stick Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 Tbsps very cold water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten for egg wash (optional)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup dark corn syrup
- ¼ cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp high-quality bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Cut butter into ½ inch pieces, place on a plate and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix butter, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add frozen butter cubes and pulse up to 10 times until the butter pieces are about pea size.
- Transfer butter flour mixture to a large bowl.
- Add ice water, two tablespoons at a time, and use your hands and fingertips to lightly “fluff” it into the dough until just combined. The dough is ready when it holds together, even if a few crumbles fall off.
- Decant dough onto a flat work surface and knead gently, 3-6 times.
- Shape into a disc about 7 inches in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.
Filling and pie:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large bowl, gently stir together eggs, sugar, the two corn syrups, melted butter, bourbon and salt.
- Roll out the dough, place in a 9 or 10inch glass or metal pan and crimp border. Carefully apply the egg wash to the border, being careful not to let it drip onto the glass pan. Prick bottom of dough generously with a fork.
- Spread the chopped pecans evenly over the bottom and pour liquid mixture over them. Place the 25 pecan halves in circles on the top for an even look.
- Bake on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes until just set, but still slightly jiggly in the middle.
- Let cool completely before serving.